Defend your business from Telecoms Fraud.
Telecoms fraud is on the rise. With the highest charge experienced by one of our customers exceeding £330,000, and with an estimated annual cost of almost £1bn to UK businesses it goes to show how potentially damaging it can be.
What is Telecoms fraud?
Organised criminals target business phone lines, making extremely high volumes of unsolicited calls, often resulting in significant charges being accumulated in just a few hours. Attacks on unmonitored lines can go unnoticed until charges are invoiced, and with convictions few and far between, the customer is typically left liable to pay the bill.
Be aware of fraudulent calls
It’s come to our attention recently that customers are being contacted by bogus companies who are claiming to be or acting on behalf of BT openreach.
We’ve received a number of calls that suggest these bogus companies are trying to convince customers, who have reported a fault with their broadband, to sign up to a service/product to eliminate any such further faults.
Your account security is our priority. We constantly monitor the network to safeguard our customers. However, if suspicious account activity is detected which makes us think that your account may be compromised or at risk, we’ll act to secure the account immediately.
What do you do if you get a call you’re unsure of? Well, here are some handy hints and tips you can take if you’re hesitant about the caller:
- Always be suspicious of unsolicited calls relating to a security/system problem, even if they claim to represent a respected company
- Ask security questions about your account before continuing the call, if the caller can’t answer, they are not legitimate
- Never give out personal information such as your credit or debit card details to an unsolicited caller
- Never agree to sign up for a product or service and under no circumstances allow the caller to take control of your computer system as this allows them to gain access to your personal files and harvest information
- Don’t install software if you’re asked to by someone who calls out of the blue
- If you use a public or shared computer, be security conscious. Remember, each time you exit your account it is imperative you click the Sign Out link at the top of the page, not just close the window
If you suspect you’ve been a victim of a phone scam or are concerned that your account has been compromised, please contact us as soon as possible on 0161 946 4444 and remember to report any fraudulent activity to the police.
Protect your line
Early detection is key, reduce the risk with FraudDefender
✓ Monitors your lines 24/7/365 days a year
✓ Detects unusual call activity on your lines
✓ Alerts us so that we can investigate
✓ Suspends service if necessary preventing further fraud taking place
✓ Reduces the risk of financial damage
✓ Just £3.00 per month per account
✓ FREE trial for ALL customers
Visit Customer Zone for:
- The latest fraud statistics
- Our fraud jargon buster
- More ways to help protect your business
You will find FraudDefender under telecoms in the services section of Customer Zone.